How do spiky massage balls work to relieve muscle tension?
We all have that feeling like we need a good sports massage to take the tension off our bodies. Be it sitting at a desk, killing a workout, racing or even hiking one of the great walks of New Zealand. we all get knots, tightness, muscle tension or that feeling that something is going to "ping" it is so tight.
So how can we help ease the pressure without breaking the bank with a weekly massage?
This is where the spikey ball massage tool comes in.
They have become a popular tool for performing your own form of massage-therapy on many muscle-related conditions and are a convenient way to maximise muscle recovery for many athletes.
Spiky massage balls may look innocent enough they have been described by some as evil little torture devices. This is because when you are holding tension in tight areas like your traps from sitting as a desk or hunching over a computer (top of your shoulders at the base of your neck) or IT band from running they really get in there into those sore spots like a deep tissue massage.
But just how do Spiky Balls manage to perform their magic?
- Spiky Balls work on the myofascial* system to reduce muscle tension, improve blood flow, increase body awareness and aid in injury prevention and rehabilitation. Making them perfect for knots and tight areas.
- By targeting trigger points, Spiky Balls can reduce pain levels and improve range of motion through specific muscles and subsequently improve joint motion. This means instead of feeling tight like something is about to ping, you can support your bodies recovery.
*The myo-fascial system refers to the muscle itself as well as its fascia – the thin sheath that wraps around and connects the muscles, bones, nerves and blood vessels.
How to use a spikey ball
- You can simply sit or lay on your Spiky Massage Ball and you use your body weight to apply pressure to a tight muscle.
- By using pressure and specific movements you can encourage the Spiky Ball to really target those deep trouble-spots and also encourage your muscles to relax.
- DO NOT USE your Spiky Ball if you have a recent injury or trauma which has broken the skin, caused inflammation of a joint, or if you are badly bruised – if in doubt ask your practitioner.
8 Spikey ball exercises you can try at home or at the gym.
Here is an info sheet of areas you might like to use the spiky massage ball on.You can place the ball in these areas of the body, then slowly move your body back and forward and side to side to massage the area. Make sure you breathe normally. You can work on tight spots for 15 - 60 seconds until your muscles relax, then you could try and repeat for 15 - 90 seconds.
How to release your shoulders with a spiky ball.
Standing with your Spiky Ball between your upper back muscles and a wall, use your body weight to roll over the ball applying pressure to any areas which feel tight.
How to use a spiky massage ball on your glutes
Lie on your back with your knees bent and feet flat on the ground. Place your Spiky Ball underneath your buttocks and gently roll over the ball until you find a trigger point. To increase the pressure, let the knee on the affected side drop out to the side.
Spiky Massage ball foot release
Place the Spiky Ball underneath your foot and apply your body weight through the foot to roll the ball from your heel towards your toes.
Want to get your hands on one of these spiky little suckers?
We stock spiky massage balls for less than the cost of a massage. You can grab one for $25. Keen to get your hands on one of these bad boys and start relieving the tension? Give us a call on Phone: 03 389 9892 Email: email@example.com or